Gym Classes and Recess in School
- Effects on BG determined by timing of PE class with lunch time, snacks, etc.
- If on shots, many children have different insulin doses for PE versus non-PE days. We can help you to determine these doses.
- Most kids leave their pumps on for gym class and recess. You may need to use temporary rates following class or give an extra 15 grams of carbs before exercising.
- Summer sports camps schedules can be very different than the usual routine with much more exercise and greater risk of hypoglycemia.
- If the camp runs for the whole day, it is best to remain on the pump at a lower temporary basal rate. Or, take the pump off for two hour periods and re-connect to bolus for some of insulin that was missed and food.
- Insulin injections should be decreased based on the amount of exertion expected that day.
- Test blood glucose about every two hours and once through the night.